Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thank you, but no thanks.................

My rides to & from Snetterton saw me negotiating the joy that is the A17 'twixt Boston & Swaffham - this twice annual pleasure saw me experiencing again the bi-polar attributes of some of our fellow road users on a road devoid of interest above and beyond those of survival and progress.

First the good/excellent:-

i/ - Drivers, most often of lorries, but not exclusively so, moving over to allow filtering and easier overtakes - a real pleasure to see & benefit from - thank you

Now the less welcome:-

ii/ - With similar kindly intent, drivers moving over to their extreme left in order to facilitate my progress - thank you - but please do not move so far as to run your near-side wheels into the gutter/verge edge, as in doing so you run the risk of picking up some damage or a puncture, and more selfishly, you pepper me with the self same garbage found there in copious quantity!

And finally, the bad:-

iii/ - I cannot remember when I last experienced a driver moving out to block my line. This happened once on my journey towards Norfolk, and twice on my return journey. I was so surprised on the first two occasions, that I slowed, adopted a safe following position & expected to see the camera/police car/safety partnership van that the drivers were attempting to protect me from.
Oh, but no such obstacle having materialised, I moved out to overtake, only to be met with a repeat of their attempted blocking move!
Why?
Is this something that those who ride in our more southern & eastern counties experience regularly? I've certainly not come across this in the last half decade whilst riding in the North, West, South West, Scotland, Wales, or abroad.

All the best, Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment