Monday, January 3, 2011

They didn't tell me she was a motoring journalist!

When I was last out at The 'Ring I bumped into a friend who was leading a tour of some twenty motorcyclists from the UK. I offered to lead anyone who was interested around for a few laps.

There were five riders who wanted to experience the ring for the first time as a pillion. They didn't tell me that Julie was actually a motoring correspondent until that evening at dinner.

From her article for the 'Yorkshire Weekly Newspaper Group'

We arrived at the circuit and I was introduce to Jim Bryan, a rider from West Yorkshire and Nurburgring track instructor. He asked if I’d like to ride pillion with him and of course I agreed. He knows every one of the 73 corners along the 14-mile track and could probably ride around it blindfolded. Jim assured me we’d be fine. We paid the 22 euros toll and we were off. Speeds of 130mph, corners that banked so alarmingly I thought we were never going to make them and wannabe racing drivers in Porsches didn’t faze him one little bit. Less than 10 minutes later we arrived back in the car park and Jim presented me with a badge for my helmet as a reward.

The complete article (with pictures) is here:

Part 1
Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment